Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Master Cleanse. . . Day FOUR


I think I can. . . I think I can. . . I think I can. . . That's what I keep saying to myself as I chug along this liquid fast.

I do remember that the first time I did the cleanse, about this time I was so fatigued and dizzy and achy that I wanted to give up. THIS time around has been much better. I seriously think you have to do it once to do it RIGHT (or do it better) the second time around. . .At least that has been my experience.

My mind is so clear and active it's scary (no wonder people hallucinate on it) I woke up to another pound gone. YIPEE! So that's 10 pounds I've lost since I've started this thing.

When the hunger got to me this afternoon, (I call it my mid-day madness) I added a bit of wheat grass to some water. This was another 'secret' I learned from the book. Wheat grass also helps in cleansing, boosts the immune system, helps balance the body's pH level, adds a bit of protein (about 2/%) and a whopping 35 calories--so you don't feel like you are starving quite so much.

It was like drinking pulverized grass. . . but after I gagged it down and then had my lemonade elixir I wasn't quite so famished anymore.

The next two days will be the tipping point for me to see if I can go on and complete it or not. . .

I know my friends (and some of my family members) are already mad at me because my birthday comes next week and I will still be on the cleanse. . . I've already been chided by friends and relatives to the tune of: 'How the snot are we supposed to celebrate if you aren't going to be eating??!!'

I just ask that they indulge me for a bit and postpone the merriment until the weekend after my birthday.

I've come to the conclusion that there never is a good time to do this--at least in my case. Something ALWAYS comes up. Last time it was a friend's son's wedding and we had already committed to the dinner weeks before I even thought about doing the cleanse. I went and had a great time socializing with everyone and I had a friend who graciously ate my plate AND his--so the food would not go to waste! (And thank you, you know who you are!) He also managed to snag an extra dessert for himself in my honor--so I'm sure my 'cleansing' went unnoticed at our table.

I'm a bit touched that doing this during my birthday week would cause such a stir--but I've let my dear family and good friends know that this is a present that I want to give myself and I hope they understand.

Dear hubby has been so supportive. . . today, while he and youngest son were eating lunch I went to take a nap to be away from those 'wonderful food smells'. He came in a bit later to lay down beside me and see how I was doing. It took less than 2 seconds before I exclaimed:

Me: You've had Doritos.

Dear Hubby: What?

Me: I can smell chips and a hint of salsa on your breath.

Dear Hubby bolts up, goes to the bathroom, gargles for a bit, comes back and says:

There. Is that better?

Me: Yep! Now you smell like Listerine and I can't stand Listerine so I guess I can tolerate you now.

Sheesh! My nose is so 'food sensitive' right now. It reminds me of the time when I was pregnant. The only difference is back then, food smells would make me sick. Now--food smells make me RAVENOUS! Even stale popcorn kernels found on the family room floor smell WONDERFUL. The guys have been making sure to clean up everything so I won't smell the remains of whatever they have had. . . but somehow I still manage to catch faint traces left on their clothing in their wake. Or, if there are crumbs and old food particles left in the sink, rather than get grossed out--I heave a heartfelt sigh of what culinary concoctions they once were and bid a tearful farewell as I run them down the drain.

But HEY! It's all good! I have made it PAST that dreaded 5:00 p.m. and tomorrow I will be HALFWAY DONE!

This gets me to thinking about how I will plan my exit strategy. . .

I made it through DAY FOUR!

No comments: