Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Speaking of mothers. . . .


This is a timely topic, what with 'octoplet mommy' in the news and all the 'mommy blogs' out there on the interweb--so I thought I'd add my own 2 cents.

Actually, I need to give my dear daughter credit for the idea as she posted on her own blog about all the new skills she's had to learn being the mother of two little boys (with another one on the way)

When you are a young mom you learn to multi-task like the dickens and keep your young brood from killing themselves as well as being a proverbial nose and bottom wiper.

I had fun reading all the recent skills she's acquired such as:

Changing a diaper, talking on the phone, and making a mental grocery list for the day at the same time

And this one:

Removing pencil marks, crayon marks, and boogers from walls



That really got me to thinking how many skills I have acquired being the mother of four (with 3 now grown and 1 still left puttering around the ole' homestead) and a few grand babies thrown into the mix.

I came to the conclusion that mothering skills grow exponentially as the kidlets grow--so hang in there young moms! You will be abounding in seriously AWESOME parenting skills as your children age.

Here are some that I acquired as my children grew a bit older, hit puberty, and then became teenagers and beyond:

Being able to decipher all the subtle meanings of the word 'ugh' when it is a response to what you've asked. Also understanding the various nuances of 'yeah', 'whatever', 'huh', and 'mmmmm'.

I became adept at mind reading without ever having to look my children in the eye. I could do this from just seeing the angle of the back of their heads.

Finding new and clever ways of expressing 'I told you so' without actually having to say those words.

Proudly not overusing the phrase 'because I'm the mom, that's why'.

Finding out that reverse psychology has the reverse effect on a teenager and never works the way you want it to.

On weekends, being able to stay up all night worrying when they will get home safely--falling into a deep sleep when they come through the door--only to get up bright-eyed and perky a few hours later to start the day. (and never let them see you sweat)

Whenever asked, finding lost clothes, school assignments, keys, calculators, candy wrappers, spare change, discarded food items, glasses, video game controllers, TV remotes, books, games, odds 'n ends, and various friends in the oddest places of my domicile. (This was a talent I never knew I possessed--but I ended up using it constantly)

Playing doctor, nurse, therapist, life coach, social planner, cook, teacher, biggest fan, prosecutor, judge, banker, parole officer, chauffeur, maid, chaperon, friend, defense attorney, devil's advocate, psychic, and final authority on the matter all in one day. (and sometimes to just one kid!)

Staying young enough to enjoy their friends, games and activities and old enough to know when 'enough was enough' and time to bow out and give them room to be on their own.

Being the dumbest person on the planet most days--and yet the smartest person on the planet when real advice was needed.



Ahhh. . . and now that I'm a 'Nana'. . . it ain't quite over yet! I've got quite a few wicked parenting skills that came with a lot of effort and learning that I can practice on the next generation. I just wish I knew all that I know now when my own kids were little.

(And I've finally learned the biggest secret of all--grand kids are the reason why we have kids in the first place!)

4 comments:

Beth said...

great post-AMEN!

Nicole said...

I guess it will be a while until I see those "little fruits of my labors" (grandkids).

Elder Gifford & Wendy Nielsen said...

You spoke a mouthful girlfriend! So true and well said. Motherhood--the oldest and best profession, God bless us every one!

Anonymous said...

As usual – really great! From what I hear, you have done a great job
mothering……