Sunday, February 8, 2009

The lips that never smile and other clever sayings. . .



Apparently I have baffled some of my friends with my verbiage. Just as former President Bush came up with a new word that he totally pulled off and is now commonly used: 'misunderestitmated', I guess I have come up with a new word as well.

But I SWEAR I had heard this word before and I have used it at times during my life--although this weekend I left one of my friends completely baffled and google-ing until the wee hours of the morning to try and find it.

(I could have helped him out--it is actually on this blog, in another post!!)

The word I used was 'perfungeration' and it was used to describe the smell emitted by one who kept passing gas. . . (and no, there is no need to know the circumstances of why or where or who it was directed at)

Needless to say--I WOWED 'EM with my prolific vocabulary--with the exception of one who was very skeptical that perfungeration was actually a REAL WORD!

Even if you can't find it in any dictionary or Wikipedia site--I think it's very apt and I'm keeping it at the ready, should I need to use it again.

So mystified friends or not, the word held staying power for the evening and now I am sure some are attempting to try it out when the opportunity arises. . .

As far as phraseology goes--I have another friend who truly wins first prize. One never quite knows what will come out of this guy's mouth--and so one must always be prepared for ANYTHING, especially things that have nothing to do with the subject matter being discussed.

Case in point:

Dear Hubby and I were recently out to dinner with this friend, when he began regaling us with stories from his life. Someone else began to add to the merriment, when all of a sudden he came up with: 'Why don't you kiss me on the lips that never smile.'

Now I have heard just about everything in reference to 'kiss my tush'--but I had NEVER heard it put quite that way before.

(I made a mental note right then and there to keep that in my revolving file--right up there with 'perfungeration')

One never knows when phrases like that might come in handy. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To say that the word "had staying power for the evening" is like the smell of one perfungerating! That word didn't have staying power for a single second! At least not that night!

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti - you are probably the funniest person I know!