Saturday, February 14, 2009

Following the Dilbert Principle. . .


Yeah, I know it's Valentine's Day today and everyone is being all 'mushy' and 'lovey-dovey' and that's just SWELL. . . but my poor Dear Hubby is really sick and so I thought I'd post something just for HIM that he can really relate to and that he would enjoy.

Since he's a cubicle rat himself--he really enjoys the comic strip 'DILBERT'



For those of you who are not Dilbert fans this anti corporate comic strip was created by Scott Adams who actually had some pretty profound thoughts along with the regular 'funnies' he produced in newspapers and books.

For instance. . . let's take the 'Dilbert Principle' itself. The Dilbert Principle simply states: 'People are idiots' And judging by a few of my previous posts (Stupid Is As Stupid Says and Octuplet Mommy) I would tend to agree.

Here are a few more examples of that from some folks you may have heard of:

Bill Clinton, former U.S. president


"Politics gives guys so much power that they tend to behave badly around women. And I hope I never get into that."

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."


Bob Dole, former U.S. Senator and Republican presidential candidate


"The internet is a great way to get on the net."


Lamar Alexander, former Secretary of Education, explaining his ideas on what parents of children who attend poorly funded urban or rural schools should do to solve the problem



"If you're living in an area with a bad school, move to a place where there's a better school."



Marion Barry, former mayor of Washington, D.C.


"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very low crime rate."



And just so you don't think I'm only picking on politicians--here's a gem of a statement by:


John Wayne, Actor


"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

Scott Adams also said: "I've discovered what I call the Bill Gates effect. That is, the more successful you are, the uglier you get."



Actually, I think Bill Gates looks quite tame compared to some of these successes:


Phil Knight--Nike Founder





Ted Turner--Media Mogul




And mirror, mirror on the wall--isn't this guy the scariest one of all?




Dilbertonians (loyal fans of Dilbert) also know that you must always avoid meetings with time-wasting morons. (However if you work with them, then this cannot be helped)




And finally here's some real food for thought coined by Dilbert's creator, Scott Adams: "In the future, the most important career skill will be a lack of ethics."

Unfortunately this has already come true in our government as well as business. . .
In fact, when I read that statement--these little logos came into my head:




So I think the 'Dilbert Principle' is alive and well. . . and on that note I will wish Dear Hubby and all other romantics a Happy Valentine's Day!







5 comments:

Elder Gifford & Wendy Nielsen said...

Patti, you are classic! I love this post. Thanks for being so authentic, intelligent and fun! Give my love to poor sick hubby--I joined him in that category on V-day--bummer.

Showmethesale said...

Oh Wendy! I'm sorry to hear you got sick too. . . this morning I woke up and joined both dear hubby and you in the 'sick' club.

It BITES! I want out! I am rescinding my membership. . .

Anonymous said...

So FUNNY and true. I like the non-traditional Valentine's Day post.

Anonymous said...

Good one! I can relate to the 'cubicle rats' only too well.

And I love watching 'smart people' make dumb statements.

Anonymous said...

Reading about life in that context makes it really suck.