Sunday, April 20, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake!



Well. . . this story will answer the question once and for all, if you are a true 'germ-a-phobe' or not. In addition, it will also answer the question of just how far you are willing to go to appease your friends.

Let me explain. . .

Wasn't it stated by Marie-Antoinette, the Queen consort of Louis XVI, to 'LET THEM EAT CAKE'? For the sake of argument. . . let us say this story is absolutely true.

The same statement was also said this past Saturday night at a birthday-barbecue I attended with dear hubby at the home of some friends. However, the 'cake' in question is what we ended up having an issue with--and much like the peasants in the mid 1700s, protested quite vehemently about.

Here's the scoop. . .

The party was one of those friend of a friend affairs--with more friends of other friends that you didn't necessarily know arriving. So dear hubby and I already had our 'best behavior' caps on--as well as warning signals on high alert just in case something needed to be salvaged or stopped. (all in the name of helping our friends, of course!)

The party was going swimmingly--everyone was admiring the new big screen TV that our friends had just purchased and making the appropriate ohhs and ahhs as each high-def channel was clicked on.

Then the table was loaded with good food and everyone began eating and talking and having a grand ole' time. No mishaps, no one set themself on fire using the backyard grill, no spills of drink, or inappropriate table topics were discussed. So far, so good.

In fact--this was looking more and more like your run-of-the-mill dinner party. Ahhh. . . . but just wait--it gets better. . . .

Finally the Piece-de-resistance was brought out to the table. . . The CAKE! (in honor of the birthday person, of course)













Without mentioning his actual age (just in case he somehow finds this blog post) we'll say that there were more than 30 candles on the cake--so it took some hefty huffing and puffing for this guy to get all the candles blown out. . . and the 'puffing' was being quite evenly distributed over the top of the cake.

Dear hubby looked over at me and whispered that we may not want to partake of the 'said cake' since there were quite a few 'puffs' being blown all over it that may have contained more than just 'air'. . .

Well, I was about to agree, when the next event completely cinched it for me. The host's youngest son was leaning over the cake watching the candle blowing, when a GINORMOUS SNEEZE erupted from his mouth and nose and completely covered the cake!

My good friend, who had the serving knife in hand--and not phased in the least said: "Alright, who's ready for some cake??!!"

Dear hubby and I spoke in unison: Thanks, we'll pass. . .

Good friend, cutting cake: 'No problem. Come on, people, get your plates up here--it's extra moist!'

Amazingly everyone at the table had a slice--even the new people who didn't even KNOW the host and hostess but were party-crashing as they were only friends of the friends' friends. (The exception being dear hubby and I--apparently the only two 'germ-a-phobes' in the room)

Everyone admitted it was the most disgusting thing they had ever seen--everyone laughed about it--but the amazing part was--everyone ATE IT!

I truly like my friends--I even like THEIR friends (and the friends of those friends) But I found out just where I draw the line. I cannot bring myself to eat food that has been showered with bodily fluids. . . even if I really like you. . . I guess I deep down, I really don't like you THAT much!

And just for the record---I'm swearing off cake for the time being!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay the question must be asked, did the guests who ate the cake eat the icing too? 'Cause that's just nasty. We would have abstained. How about you?

Showmethesale said...

Well. . . since the question must be asked---I suppose it must be answered. I think most of them ate the whole thing anyway! (although it was suggested just to scrape the icing off)

And next time I'm taking you with me--because I need another fellow abstainer!

Anonymous said...

Great! I have a birthday party to attend this weekend. Now I'm going to have to think twice about eating any cake.

I will definitely be watching the blowing out of the candles VERY carefully.

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww! That's just gross!

(But very funny!)

cdr said...

I'm with you. I would have passed on the cake. I'm shocked more people weren't more bothered by this spittle-cake. Maybe they've watched a little too much Fear Factor back in the day...

Showmethesale said...

CDR, you may be right! However, I would rename most of that show 'gross factor' when it came to the 'foods' they made those contestants consume!

(I must admit, I watched a few episodes myself--but it made me shy away from 'yucky stuff' more than EVER--rather than inspire me to try it)

And to Mary and the former B-Day cake eater. . . Yeah, I think I will watch the candle-blowing ceremony much more carefully now as well.

And in defense of these good folks--they are probably all such good friends, it didn't matter who ate off who's plate, etc. So a little extra 'stuff' was not a problem. . .

(But I admit, I'm kinda funny when it comes to germs or 'cooties'!)

Oh yes--I believe in COOTIES alright! (and the boogeyman too!)

Anonymous said...

I think I would have to say it would really need to depend on who it was that sneezed on the cake (and huffed their spit out at it)...but, I also think I would probably at least scrape the layers off the frosting for good measure. The germs dont bother me so much, as they float in the air anyways, but something about eating someone else's saliva and boogers is quite where I draw the line. :-D

Showmethesale said...

Amy, girl, you just said a mouthful! (and I'm with you all the way)

HA!