Thursday, March 27, 2008

Under Construction. . .



Well. . . it's that time of year again. . . (at least it is in my house) You know, the time when you are ready to throw out the old, decaying, dried-up, used-up stuff and begin the process of collecting NEW stuff (that will become dried-up and used about the same time next year)!

We took it to the EXTREME this year. I mean we really went a bit overboard. Instead of the typical 'spring cleaning' we decided to refurbish and remodel the whole stinkin' house! Oh YES! Our motto has now become: Out with the old. . . IN WITH THE NEW!

So the ole' homestead is totally under construction right now.



Or rather, should I say. . . Reconstruction.



Perhaps even. . . Deconstruction!



If any of you have done any type of remodeling you will understand where I am coming from. I am living in complete chaos! My house is a total MESS. . . I am just trying to stay afloat above the mounds of dust, paint, chemicals, equipment, tarps, cleaning supplies and other wreckage and JUNK that abounds in and around our domicile.

I try to mentally visit my 'happy place' each and every day as I wend my way down the stairs through the mountains of THINGS that are to be donated, given away and thrown to the wolves. . .

I cheerily greet my construction workers (home wreckers) that arrive early each morning to tear up more things in my house with promises that it will be all put back together soon and it will look FANTASGREAT when it's completed!

The 'few days' that this has been going on is now stretching out into weeks---and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end up taking MONTHS if not years, for the estate to be put back to rights. . . but we are too far gone now to turn back.

Each day brings some new disaster that must be dealt with and a new 'estimate' must be given and the wallet must be reached into deeper to make sure there's enough lovely GREEN STUFF to cover the costs. . .

And amazingly enough, since we started these high-minded lovely 'projects' to make our home a Heaven and more aesthetically pleasant to the eye, things have been mysteriously breaking down. I mean, our major appliances have decided to go on strike and not work properly since we began the 'remodel' and even the office computer and audio equipment has decided to call it quits until we can update and fix and repair all the problems that keep occurring with them. WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?

I mean--even our lights don't work properly now!!!!



Dear hubby and I are thinking that we have somehow now been transported into that Shelly Long movie: 'The Money Pit' and wonder WHAT HAVE WE DONE? What monster have we created?

Although, dear hubby has really gotten into the spirit of things since the kitchen and family room are all being razed to the ground and torn apart. . . he decides to make it a trifecta and suggests we get someone in to work on the living room fireplace. (even though that is the ONE room in the house that still remains pristine and untouched) and nothing seems to be wrong with it. . . yet.



So for now---I am UNDER CONSTRUCTION and I am told I just need to 'go with the flow' and be brave. There are always unforeseen 'occurances' that will drag out the process a bit longer and unplanned items that must be purchased that were not in the original bid. . . but are definitely necessary. . . and every time I do something like this I tell myself---MAN! That was UNBELIEVABLE! I'm glad we did it--but I'm NEVER going to do that again! And wouldn't you know it--I wind up forgetting just how painful and unendurable it was and years down the road--I wind up doing it again! (THEN when the workers come to knock down the first wall, I suddenly remember)

You know. . . it was the exact same thing with each of my four children. I kept saying: 'NEVER AGAIN!' (and I wound up with FOUR of them!) Go figure!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

That was the same thing I said about 30 minutes after child #1's birth. Good thing we all have selective memory.

Showmethesale said...

Yep, I heartily agree--it IS a good thing! LOL!

By the way--I'm glad you went on to have child #2--they both are ADORABLE!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I've been through the construction process many times myself and I will give you the same advice the labor nurse usually gives out when you are giving birth:

You are going to be so proud when it is all over and you'll feel really good.

Showmethesale said...

Thanks 'been there'. . .

I think I had that same labor nurse you speak of.

She may have been right about the being so glad when it is all over part--but the jury is still out about whether I will feel 'really good' or not!

Travis said...

Sounds like the house will be great, but I do feel for the dog a little bit. With the glass sliding door he was able to keep a steady eye on his domain (the back yard), but now he will be unable to sit and survey the squirel activity. Maybe a little window in the new door that is at dog height.

Showmethesale said...

Trav, you are so sweet, always thinking of others--even the dog!

But not to worry--he now likes to perch himself on the stair landing and look out the front door window and watch for squirrels, cats, and those who trespass. . .

He has given up the back of the house and moved on to the front of the house--so it's all good!