Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Easter!




Well! Well! Well! It's EASTER already! How did that happen so fast. . . .?

I am frantically trying to get stuff ready so that I won't be caught unawares come this Sunday when the family gets together for the traditional Easter Dinner and annual Easter Auction. . .

For the past several years, since my children have gotten MUCH older and are out of the 'egg-hunting' stage, I have tried to come up with inventive ways to make sure they get their fill of fun and sweets with that marvelous invention: 'Easter Candy'

I have done 'Easter Pinatas', 'Easter Scavenger Hunts'. . . and the most infamous and best loved by both old and young has been my 'Easter Auction' which is the most requested and by far the most successful of any of the 'Easter Activities' I have come up with. In fact, my oldest son, who just got married a few months ago and is about to graduate from college, called me up and asked me if I could postpone the 'Easter Auction' until he and his wife could come visit us this summer. . .

When I proposed this change to my youngest son, he was aghast at such a suggestion--and just pointed out the fact, that I could actually have TWO. One at Easter (so that he could participate in it in his usual 'get-everything-you-can-get-your-hands-on' style)--and one in the summer when middle son and oldest son will both be back home again.

My son-in-law has told me repeatedly that this is one of his most favorite things that we do--and he actually works his vacation and holiday schedule around this tradition--so that he can be here to participate in it. . .

So apparently we will hold another annual 'Easter Auction' this weekend--so as not to disappoint the remaining family members. (Besides, I don't want to have a mutiny on my hands)

My two little grandsons are getting old enough to participate and will have their own Easter items to bid on this year--so there will be a new twist as I am going to favor those little tots and have to keep the adults in check! In fact, young Max who is not quite 2 made his own little Easter concoction out of his Mr. Potato Head toy--VERY adorable. . . and I am hoping he will put it up for auction so I can bid on it. I am enjoying the fact, that since he could not find any eyebrows to complete the face--he did what any good plastic surgeon would do--just use a discarded nose!



Here's wishing all my blogger fans a joyous celebration this weekend!


10 comments:

Josh said...

I'm glad you did the Easter auction on Easter and not wait until the summer. I got a lot of junk food which I'm sure will be gone within the week.

Beth said...

cute blog Patti! thanks for the nice email and comment. i think your blog will be VERY entertaining to read!

i am also excited to get back in touch with nicole. i only have so many cousins out there and we are at the same stage in life with 2 little ones.

Beth said...

btw-HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i was just telling my mom about your blog and she told me it was your bday! hope it's a great one!

Showmethesale said...

Hi Beth!

It's great to see you and your adorable little girls. . . Thanks for the nice note and birthday wishes.

You and Nicole will have lots to catch up on--and can compare the thrills and excitement of raising 2 little boys vs. 2 little girls!

And Josh--as usual you DID manage to win most of the 'good stuff' How did you ever manage that, I wonder????? (it's nice to have mom, who happens to be in charge, on your side, isn't it??!!)

Nicole said...

Glad to hear that there might be a "Summer Auction". One can never have enough chances to squabble over junk food with family. :)

Showmethesale said...

EXACTLY! And don't forget the 5 year old 'Laura Scudders' bag o' chips, sardines, pickled pigs feet, and Tapatio Hot Sauce. . . Those are always in high demand!

Anonymous said...

This Easter Auction of yours sounds pretty interesting.

You've peaked my curiosity. Could you elaborate on it a bit?

Showmethesale said...

Well, 'just curious'--I could tell you--but perhaps I should just save it for another post. . . as I tend to get a bit wordy when describing these types of things. . .

PLUS my family is anal about guarding their 'secrets' and they may have me drawn and quartered if I give too much away.

I do appreciate your interest. . . and look for a bit more explanation in an upcoming post. . .

Travis said...

Some people might think what does an auction have to do with Easter? But if you think about it what does a bunny who lays plastic eggs full of candy have to do with Easter anyway? I say if it brings the family together and everyone has a good time than its a great Easter activity, anything goes. I do love the Easter auction.

Showmethesale said...

Hey, Trav! I'm with YOU! I'm so glad you like our traditional Easter Auction. . .

We missed you and your sweet wife this year. . . sooooooo. . . .

We are going to have another one in the summer when you brother comes home from his mission and you and your dear wife come for a visit.

Wooboy! It's gonna be a gut-busting, grand old time then!