Friday, January 11, 2008

New Year's Resolutions. . . Or not!







Do you faithfully make your list of 'New Year's Resolutions' only to find that you've completely blown it by February 2nd?

OR did the holidays go by so lightning fast this year that you haven't even had time to sit down and take a breath to even THINK about your goals/resolutions for this year?

OR are you kinda tired of fixating on some HUMONGOUS far-reaching goal that you don't have a snowball's chance in the netherworld of achieving?

OR does the idea of thinking up big ideas, small ideas, plans for the future. . . or plans for next week, seem to blow a circuit in your brain?

Well. . . fear not, little blogger-folk! I'm right there with ya!

I have come up with the PERFECT solution! Let me tell you, this idea may just catch on like wildfire!

You see, it was much easier for me to come up with a list of what I'm NOT GONNA DO or what I WILL NOT PUT UP WITH, rather than to boggle my mind with the possibilities of what I want and must accomplish. . .

Call me cynical, a realist, or just plain dog-tired from the holiday-wedding mayhem--but THIS YEAR I have come up with my non-resolutions! (and quite easily, I might add!)

Go ahead and try it! You just might find it refreshing, relaxing, enchanting, funny, relieving--and you won't have to reach for the aspirin bottle after completing it. Heck! You might not even have to go lie down and take a nap afterward. (but that is always an available option)

OK--so here's my partial list of NON-RESOLUTIONS for 2008--feel free to use them yourself if you like:

1) I am NOT gonna promise to go on some fad diet and lose a certain amount of poundage by a set time this year, only to find myself haggling over the newest flavor of Krispe Creme dough nuts with the lady who just cut in front of me to get the very last one. I will just make my mind up right now to visit the shop faithfully each and every month when they come out with a new flavor and not deny my taste buds their rightful due. . .

2) I will NOT make a goal to get up faithfully at 4:00 a.m. and get my 5 mile run and total body conditioning workout in before my dear hubby and dear son get up to go to work and school--so that I can be showered and refreshed and ready to greet them invigorated and ready to start their day with a smile and a word of encouragement--as well as a 5 Star breakfast. Rather, I will make sure to roll out of bed by the time dear hubby is heading out the door and hand him 5 bucks and the car keys so he can get to the nearest McDonald's before embarking on his work day. I will then yell at dear son to get out of bed and finish the cereal that he snacked on the night before, and then, after all that effort, deservedly collapse back into bed.

3) I will NOT make a list of good books that I should accomplish reading by the end of this year. Short of watching Oprah to find out what's the latest book in her book club and memorizing the title and author--so that I can name drop and banter with any other folk so inclined, I will make sure I read all medication bottles before throwing contents in my mouth--and just for good measure, I will actually read a few food packaging labels (at least the front titles) before throwing them in my shopping cart.

4) I will NOT set a time table for spring cleaning, winter cleaning, summer or fall cleaning. . . or even weekly or daily cleaning. I will at some point, sometime in the future (I'm not exactly committing as to when) throw a dust cloth, mop, broom, dishrag in the general direction of some unseemly part of my house and then calmly recite the mantra: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder--and perhaps it's time I get my eyes checked.'

5) I will NOT put down in pen/pencil, (or even let the words fall from my lips) that I will stick to a budget this year when it comes to spending. Let's just say that I WILL spend. How much, how long, what for, and why will probably remain a mystery to the members of my family--but there WILL be spending--from time to time--perhaps on a daily basis. Or hourly.

Well. . . I think I've covered all the bases for now. . . and WOW! Do I feel better doing this! Now the only thing I can think of to top this off would be to take a nap. . .




No comments: