Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Two friends, a necklace, and the Grand Canyon. . .



What happens when two totally insane friends decide that they MUST get away from the harsh winter weather of the great northwest. . . and travel a bit further south to the sunnier climes of Arizona for some R&R, SUN, and ADVENTURES?

Well. . . . you're about to find out.

My gal pal--whom I refer to as 'Heidi' (because that's what she likes me to call her) and I decided to take a trip this past November and see that great ball of burning gasses in the sky (known to some as 'the sun'):




and to shop and play:

 



 
 
 
 
 



 

and visit friends and some of the members of my family:

 
 

 

Note that Heidi is letting my mother in law wear the necklace for the day.  We almost had to pry it out of her cold, dead hands before we could get it back after it was clasped around her neck.  She LOVED it!  We ended up going into her bedroom, ransacking the place, finding it, and taking it back before heading back home again.


 

My sister will probably KILL ME for putting this photo of her up on my blog.  But hey!  What are sisters for?  (and besides, I live 2,000 miles away--so I'm not too worried about it)





We really had a grand time--soaking in TONS of vitamin D and basking in the warmer weather.  We took in a musical comedy show called:  'Church Basement Ladies"



And took in some of the local southwestern scenery:


 






We visited the Mesa Temple and toured the grounds:

 
 
 

One of the fun little adventures we had was to take a drive up to Jerome (the old ghost town) taking that HAIRBALL highway that goes up Mingus Mountain with about a BAJILLION twists and turns and NO GUARDRAIL, for the love of Pete!  WHEW! But I managed to not drive the car off the cliff like Thelma and Louise and get to the top:

 
 
We ate at an old hospital--now converted into a 'Grand Hotel' with a restaurant located up on the top floor called 'The Asylum' which was aptly named by the guy who greeted us upon entering:


 
 


 

Of course 'the necklace' was with us at this event--so we had to commemorate the occasion and leave a lasting reminder.  (until the waiter tore the paper tablecloth off):




We also went to Sedona and took an amazing 'Pink Jeep Tour' that allowed us to four wheel through the canyons and see some of the most amazing desert vistas at sunset:


 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 

And what trip to Arizona could be complete without touring the Grand Canyon?  Certainly not this one:


 

 
 
 
So of course, this is where Heidi decides that 'the necklace' should have it's own 'death-defying' experience and nearly drops the poor thing off the south rim:



Now you see it:

 

Now you don't:




Oops!



 

Just kidding!  The necklace (as well as Heidi and I) made it back to our native home and hearth safe and sound minus a few bucks, some sleep, and missed therapy appointments--which thanks to the trip--we won't need after all!




GOOD TIMES!


6 comments:

Duane said...

A fine blog you have!

Carol said...

I loved your blog about AZ. What fun we had and you guys had.

Karen said...

Loved your blog, made me laugh. Thanks a bunch for the vicarious pleasure of touring one of my favorite areas in the country.

Penny said...

As I sit here with the 40 degree rain and 4 kids crawling on me....Arizona looks mighty inviting!!! Fun times for sure!!!

cdr said...

Those are great pictures of AZ! I've been to Jerome as well - it's a cute little place. But I didn't get there in a sweet pink ride like you. :-)

barbschild said...

Okay, I MADE the blog!! YAY!!! I guess I won't KILL you for that crazy pic with the rollers!!! Glad you and Heidi had such a fun trip. Give her my love!! Love you much! Your sis, Barb