Thursday, January 1, 2009

What did you do the first day of 2009?

Photobucket

This is actually what I should have done. . . but for some unknown reason I got a tear up my undies and went on a rampage to CLEAN my house! Don't ask me why--I have no idea.

Middle son got up when it was still dark and drove with a friend to a neighboring state to start college and enter the world of enlightenment and draining bank accounts.

Dear hubby got up in the wee hours too--to go off with some 'office pals' for a New Year's Day hike in the soggy, rainy, wet, cold, miserable woods out yonder.

Youngest son was comatose in bed and wouldn't be up until the crack of 1:00 p.m.

That left me with some time to myself and of course, I run around the house like the in-laws are coming for a surprise visit and start cleaning and straightening everything in sight!

(hopefully this is a just a 'once in a lifetime thing')



So there I am running up and down the stairs, putting clothes away, picking up stuff, cleaning clutter, doing dishes, vacuuming the house, straightening furniture, (OK--I think you get the point) Needless to say, I racked in over 1,000 steps on my pedometer within the first 37 minutes! (Dear daughter, you should be so proud--you got me the darn thing for Christmas)



One observation I made as I was going through this New Year's Day cleaning dervish was how dumb we can be about some stuff. Case in point: while vacuuming, if there was some piece of dirt, crumb, small object that wouldn't move while running the vacuum over it--I'd just pick it up and drop it back on the floor again. . . you know, to give my vacuum cleaner another fighting chance at it. (or to rub my cleaning-unit's nose in it. . . as if to say: 'Come on, big guy, you can do it--now suck that bad boy up!) I did this several times. Why I didn't just throw the bit/crumb/unmentionable away myself after picking it up? It didn't even cross my mind. That was the VACUUM CLEANER'S job--and doggone it--it was gonna do it--if I had to vacuum over the same piece of dirt a dozen times!

Hmmmm. . . . maybe THAT'S how I got all those extra steps in. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't clean, especially on New Year's. What got into you , woman?