Sunday, December 12, 2010

A most difficult Spelling Bee



Spelling Bees can be agonizingly stressful events.  Sometimes months, nay years of preparation are required before you can enter a contest such as this and expect a scintilla of success.

Thus, you might well imagine my surprise when an impromptu Spelling Bee was called for by two of my grandsons the other evening when the old 'G-Pa' and I were visiting. Those guilty of such a malicious pop quiz were no older than 6  (and 4).

The six year old decided to go at it with G-Pa, while the supposedly innocent and unassuming 4 year old ran amok on 'Nana'.  (me)




This is the 6 year old--and don't think his offering of a delectable peach is an act of kindness.  Nope!  It's meant to distract you and take you off your game.



This is the wicked, nasty, mean four-year-old and don't let that charming countenance or exuberant smile deceive you.  He was all business and competition when it came to the 'Spelling Bee'.

You can judge for yourself whether I had a right to complain or not.  Here is only part of the humiliation I suffered that evening:

4 year old:  Spell Balcano, Nana.

Me:  You mean volcano don't you?

4 year old:  No--it's BALcano--now spell it.

Oh what to do--what to do?  Apparently I just squeaked by with my rendition.  Then here is what came up next:

4 year old:  Now spell befeated.

Me:  BEfeated?

4 year old: Yep!  That's what I said.

Me:  Could you please use it in a sentence?

4 year old:  I befeated you at this Spelling Bee.

(and for the record--he most certainly did.)  I think I'll just stick with youngest grandson for a while.  I may have a chance against him. . . . . for now.






No comments: