Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My practical and perfect answer to 'The Necklace'





Absolutely EVERYONE who is ANYONE is all a-buzz with talk of this book entitled:

THE NECKLACE By Cheryl Jarvis

And on my recent get-away to the lovely Oregon Coast with friends old and new, I learned of this little gem of a tale and the journey of 13 women who invested in a $37,000, 15 carat diamond necklace (which of course they got on sale for $16,000 so it was a STEAL) and how it transformed them.

Now I'm all for sales. . . and getting together with fabulous women. . . not to mention owning luxury items that I really can't afford or don't really need.   So OF COURSE, I was intrigued by the story--and the idea of sharing with others and bonding--and TELLING all about it in a public setting.

That  gave me a crazy idea.  Here I was with 2 friends that I knew and 3 more that I had just met and we had shops galore at our finger tips--a beautiful sunny day at the beach--and all the time in the world. . . (well at least that afternoon)  soooooo. . . why not do a smaller, more economical version of our own?  

There were 6 of us all together--which meant we could wear 'the necklace' for TWO months out of the year, instead of just one. . .AND we didn't have to invest in something so expensive.  I mean, after all we could be really cheap practical and go in for just a buck a piece and get something for six dollars!   And truth be told--we didn't have to go for classy or even pretty.  We could really make a statement by finding the most hideous thing on the planet and clasping it around our neck and see where life took us.

So when I presented my BRILLIANT idea to the gals--it really didn't take much convincing.  They were all IN and ready to experiment.

The only rule I laid out for our little half-baked group was:

If it was a 'no, not on God's green earth' for one of us--it was an 'absolutely not' for all of us.  We either had to totally love it or completely hate it--but we all had to agree it was worth the purchase price. . . whatever that turned out to be.

We were fairly giddy with excitement as we began our shopping spree to find that ONE NECKLACE that would make a statement and that we could actually live with wearing for a month without needing a trip to the psychiatrist. 
 

After checking so many shops (and being kicked out of a couple) we finally found a shop with some promise:



The name of the shop was 'Rare Discovery' and we knew we were in for a real treat when we entered the door.  HOLY MOLY!  We found the perfect necklace too!



We dubbed it 'amoeba guy'. . . because. . . well. . . just look at that amoeba of a pendant hanging off it!



This little beaut only cost $129.00 so we each had to cough up $21.50 which was extremely affordable and nothing we would have to guiltily hide from our husbands later. . . We diplomatically figured out who would have to wear 'amoeba guy' first--and since 'Karen' was in the bathroom at the time--naturally we picked her to do the honors when she returned.



Upon leaving the store my new friend, (who I will call 'Karen') was approached by this really old lady.

Karen:  (to the rest of us)  I wonder what kind of experiences I will have wearing this thing?

Really old lady:  (coming up to Karen and looking with disgust at the necklace)  My God, what are you wearing?

Me:  Look!  You are already being worshiped!

Karen:  (all smiles)  You know, you're right. And I haven't gotten 3 feet from the store!

Rest of the gals:  AMAZING!

Really old lady:  You people are sick.



Now this is 'Karen'.

  She will be wearing this little gem through the month of October--then my friend 'Heidi' will tackle the beast in November--and then it will fall upon the neck of yours truly during the month of December. . . the rest of the gals will be fighting over it next year. . .

And oh YES INDEEDY!  I will be updating you of the amazing journey of this little guy--month by scintillating month--  (that is if any of these gals ever speak to me again)

It just goes to show you what six amazingly desperate, certifiably insane, devil-may-care, and willing to settle for the mediocre, women can do on a weekend binge. . .






3 comments:

Karen said...

Nice job on the blog. This is going to be a fun journey because I feel more queenly already.

Elaine said...

I had just as much fun reading about our adventure as I did on the adventure. Always a fun read.

Mary said...

Is there anything you WON'T do?