Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tales of my summer adventure. . . beginning with ROME!











Oh Boy!

I am back after 2 1/2 weeks of sheer bliss traveling to 7 countries (counting the Vatican and Monaco as countries--because, well. . . they are!) and 21 cities in Europe.

To say this was the experience of my life would be an understatement. . .

Pictured above is a shot of the Vatican with it's colorful Vatican guards--and that was absolutely FANTASGREAT being able to take a private tour through it.

I have WAY too many stories to tell--(like the time I was accosted by two Roman Soldiers and made a princess and then one of them proposed to me)



And pictures? SHEESH! Good thing I took a 2 gig memory card!

I'm going to have to add these in installments, because there is just WAY TOO MUCH!



So only the 'cream of the crop' will make it to my blog.


First stop was ROME! And I truly fell in love with the 'eternal city'. . . I could have easily spent all my time there--but I only had 2 1/2 days--and it was JAM PACKED, let me tell you!

The Coliseum was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The buildings, statues, fountains, streets, arches, even WALLS were incredible!























A high point for me was being able to see 'up close and personal' Michelangelo's Pieta in St. Peter's in the Vatican:



I felt like I stepped back in time and could easily have met up with Caesar himself. Or possibly Ben-Hur at the Circus Maximus. . .



It's just absolutely beautiful and amazing and so many other descriptive words that I'm not going to bother putting down. . . I'll just let my slide show speak for itself. . .


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti

I'm glad you and Mom had a great time. We were there about 5 years ago..flew to Rome, did the sight seeing and took a 21 day cruise through Europe, across the Atlantic and through the Carribean. Rome and the Vatican are awsome. It took my breath away. It ALMOST makes you want to be a Catholic.

Showmethesale said...

Hi Debbie!

I know exactly what you mean! It was such an amazing--even spiritual experience. . . your mom was TONS of fun and such a trooper--she climbed Mt. Etna in Sicily with me--she even went to the top of the tower of Pisa with me too! We trekked all over the place! I would go back in a heartbeat and do it all over again!

Glad to hear you got to go and had such a great time. . . good hearing from you, girl!

Anonymous said...

Holy CRAP, girlfriend! You do indeed have the adventures. I am salivating at your pictures. I want to go there myself. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Nicole said...

There's something fishy about those "Roman soldiers"...

Showmethesale said...

HA! You would THINK so, wouldn't you? Well, just for the record they both spoke perfect Italian, French and English and one even spoke Dutch.

They also appeared to be guarding the Pantheon as well as taking as many photo ops as possible with the hapless tourists who passed by in hoards and masses.

They were equal opportunity fleecers as well--and even took American Express!

I was absconded against my will and they would not let go until I took a photo with them and promised to bear their children. The first request was easily enough granted--however, the jury is still out on the second. . .

Oh, and to Mary--YES, I had a FANTASTIC time. Just give me a call when you want to go--because I am ready and willing to go back again. . . apparently I have two Roman Soldiers in waiting. . .